Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blind Dog Walking

Some of you may already know, our family fosters for Texas Italian Greyhound Rescue and our forever fosters (too old/ill to be adoptable) are either partially blind (Rocket) or totally blind (Tella had surgery which required removing both eyes due to infections).

Tella has learned when I come home, she pops her head up out of the  blankets on her bed in the floor, raises up and does the hokey pokey walk towards the backdoor with her tail wagging happily from end to end.  And if I don't pick her up quick enough, she gives out a pitiful wail or bark (Connie says I'm trained well).  But I just can't help it. She reminds me of my Mom's Mother who when she had a stroke,  I would be there to take her from place to place, sitting with her and watching her frail little body somehow have the strength to carry on.  I even think of Tella as NONNA (Italian for Grandmother).

Last night she was curled up with the others in bed hiding from all the thunder and popped her head out and laid it on the pillow just under my chin and rested there totally happy knowing that I was on protection duty.   Her frail little body with sunken skin over what were once bright happy eyes makes you wonder if you're doing the right thing and then you see her strutting across the backyard moving her head back and forth like a Stevie Wonder impression and you know she's cool with it.

Sometimes dogs need to show humans how to handle crap, cause they don't get caught up in all the emotional garbage we tend to collect and stew over.  Come on world sling it, I'm can handle it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment